« السابقةمتابعة »
5. He spake, and light shone round his head,
Hymn 371. L M.
The institution of a gospel ministry from Christ.
ATHER of mercies in thy house
3. Hence sprung th' Apostle's, honour'd name, Sacred beyond heroic fame;
In lowlier forms to bless our eyes, Pastors from hence, and Teachers rise. 4. From Christ their varied gifts derive, And fed by Christ their graces live: While guarded by his potent hand, 'Midst all the rage of hell they stand. 5. So shall the bright succession run Through the last courses of the sun; While unborn churches by their care Shall rise and flourish large and fair. 6. Jesus our Lord their hearts shall know, The spring, whence all these blessings flow; Pastors and people shout his praise Through the long round of endless days.
Hymn 372. c. M.
1. ESUS, thou all-redeeming Lord,
Open the door to preach thy word,
2. Gather the outcasts in, and save
3. Lover of souls, thou know'st to prize
4. Appear, as when of old confest,
5. The stony from their hearts remove,
Shew them the tokens of thy love,
6. Thy feet were nail'd to yonder tree,
7. Thy side an open fountain is,
And drink the living streams of bliss,
8. Ready thou art the blood t' apply,
Hymn 373. P. M.
For closer communion I pine,
The pasture I languish to find,
And screen'd from the heat of the day.
2. Ah! shew me that happiest place,
That place of thy people's abode, Where saints in an ecstacy gaze And hang on a merciful God: Thy love for a sinner declare,
Thy passion and death on the tree; My spirit to Calvary bear,
To suffer and triumph with thee. 3. 'Tis there with the lambs of thy flock, There only I covet to rest;
To lie at the foot of the rock,
Or rise to be hid in thy breast: 'Tis there I would always abide, And never a moment depart; Conceal'd in the cleft of thy side, Eternally held in thy heart.
Hymn 374. s. M.
The blessedness of gospel times.
Isai. v. 2, 7, 8, 9, 10. Matt. xiii. 16, 17.
OW beauteous are their feet,
Who bring salvation on their tongues,
2. How charming is their voice!
3. How happy are our ears,
That hear this joyful sound,
Which kings and prophets waited for
4. How blessed are our eyes,
5. The watchmen join their voice,
6. The Lord makes bare his arm
Hymn 375. c. M.
ESUS, great Shepherd of thy sheep,
Thy little flock in safety keep,
For O the wolf is nigh!
2. He comes, of hellish malice full,
3. Us into thy protection take,
And gather with thine arm :
4. We laugh to scorn bis cruel pow'r,
5. O do not suffer him to part
The souls that here agree!
But make us of one mind and heart,
6. Together let us sweetly live,
And each a starry crown receive,
Hymn 376. L. M.
ESUS, thy wand'ring sheep behold! See, Lord, with yearning bowels see, Poor souls that cannot find the fold,
'Till sought and gather'd in by thee.. 2. Lost are they now, and scatter'd wide, In pain, and weariness and want: With no kind Shepherd near, to guide The sick, and spiritless and faint.
3. Thou, only thou, the kind and good,
And sheep-redeeming shepherd art; Coliect thy flock, and give them food And pastors after thine own heart. 4. In ev'ry messenger reveal
The grace they preach divinely free; That each may by thy Spirit tell : "He dy'd for all, who dy'd for me." 5. A double portion from above,
Of thy all-quick'ning Spirit impart;
In ev'ry faithful pastor's heart. 6. Thine only glory let them seek,
O let their hearts with love o❜erflow; Let them believe, and therefore speak, And spread thy mercy's praise below.
Hymn 377, L. M.
COMFORT, ye ministers of grace,
Comfort the people of your Lord;
O lift ye up the fallen race,
And cheer them by the gospel-word.'.