« السابقةمتابعة »
27. Which was the Son of Joanna, which was the Son of Rhefa, which was the Son of Zorobabel, which was the Son of Salathiel, which was the Son of Neri,
28. Which was the Son of Melchi, which was the Son of Addi, which was the Son of Cofam, which was the Son of Elmodam, which was the Son of Er,
29. Which was the Son of Jofe, which was the Son of Eliezer, which was the Son of Forim, which was the Son of Matthat, which was the Son of Levi,
30. Which was the Son of Simeon, which was the Son of Juda, which was the Son of Jofeph, which was the Son of Fonan, which was the Son of Eliakim,
31. Which was the Son of Melea, which was the Son of Menan, which was the Son of Mattatha, which was the Son of Nathan, which was the Son of David,
32. Which was the Son of Feffe, which was the Son of Obed, which was the Son of Booz, which was the Son of Salmon, which was the Son of Naaffon,
33. Which was the Son of Aminadab, which was the Son of Aram, which was the Son of Efrom, which was the Son of Phares, which was the Son of Juda,
34. Which was the Son of Jacob, which was the Son of Ifaac, which was the Son of Abraham, which was the Son of Thara, which was the Son of Nachor,
35. Which was the Son of Saruch, which was the Son of Ragau, which was the Son of Phalec, which was the Son of Heber, which was the Son of Sala,
36. Which was the Son of Cainan, which was the Son of Arphaxad, which was the Son of Sem, which was the Son of Noe, which was the Son of Lamech,
37. Which was the Son of Matbufala, which was the Son of Enoch, which was the Son of Fared, which was the Son of Maleleel, which was the Son of Cainan,
38. Which was the Son of Enos, which was the Son of Seth, which was the Son of ADAM, which was the Son of GOD.
CHRIST is baptized of John in Jordan.
Mark AND it came to pafs in those Days, that Fofus came from Nazareth of Galilee to Jordan,
unto John, to be BAPTIZED of him.
Matt. iii. 14. But John forbad him, faying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comeft thou to me?
15. And Fefus answering, faid unto him, Suffer it to be fo now for thus it becometh us to fulfil all RIGHTEThen he fuffered him: and was BAPTIZED
of John in Jordan.
16. And Jefus when he was baptized, went up ftraightway out of the Water: and lo, the HEAVENS were opened unto him:
Luke iii. 22. And the HOLY GHOST defcended in a bodily Shape like a Dove upon him, and a Voice came from Heaven, which faid, Thou art my BELOVED SON, in thee 1 am well PLEASED.
John's Teftimony of JESUS.
HN bare witness of him, saying, This was he i. 15. of whom I fpake, He that cometh after me, is preferred before me; for he was before me.
16. And of his FULNESS have all we received, and GRACE for GRACE.
17. For the Law was given by Mofes, but GRACE and TRUTH came by Fefus Chrift.
18. No Man hath feen GoD at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the Bofom of the FATHER, he hath declared him.
John's Anfwer to the Jews.
19. AND this is the Record of John, when the Jews fent Priefts and Levites from Jerufalem, to ask
him, Who art thou?
20. And he confeffed, and denied not; but confeffed, I am not the CHRIST.
21. And they afked him, What then? Art thou Elias? And he faith, I am not. Art thou THAT PROPHET?
And he answered, No.
22. Then faid they unto him, Who art thou? that we may give an Anfwer to them that fent us: what sayst thou of thy felf?
23. He faid, I am the Voice of one crying in the Wilderness, Make straight the Way of the Lord, as faid the Prophet Efaias.
24. And they which were fent, were of the Pharifees.
25. And they afked him, and faid unto him, Why BAPTIZEST thou then, if thou be not that Chrift, nor Elias, neither that PROPHET?
26. John anfwered them, faying, I baptize with Water: but there ftandeth one among you, whom ye know not; 27. He it is who coming after me, is preferred before me, whofe Shoes Latchet I am not worthy to unloofe. 28. Thefe Things were done in Bethabara beyond Fordan, where John was baptizing.
29. The next Day John feeth Jefus coming unto him, and faith, Behold the LAMB of GOD, which taketh away the SIN of the World.
30. This is he of whom I faid, After me cometh a Man which is preferred before me : for he was before me. 31. And I knew him not: but that he fhould be made manifeft to Ifrael, therefore am I come baptizing with Water.
32. And John bare record, faying, I faw the SPIRIT defcending from Heaven, like a DOVE, and it abode upon him.
33. And I knew him not: But he that fent me to baptize with Water, the fame faid unto me, Upon whom thou fhalt fee the SPIRIT defcending and remaining on him, the fame is he which BAPTIZETH with the HOLY GHOST.
34. And I faw, and bare Record that this is the Son of GOD.
35. Again, the next Day after, John ftood, and two of his Difciples:
36. And looking upon Jefus as he walked, he faith, Behold the LAMB of GOD.
37. And the two Disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jefus.
38. Then Jefus turned and faw them following, and faith unto them, What feek ye? They faid unto him Rabbi, (which is to fay, being interpreted, Mafter) where dwellest thou ?
39. He faith unto them, Come and fee. They came and faw where he dwelt, and abode with him that Day: for it was about the tenth Hour.
40. One of the two which heard John fpeak, and followed him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's Brother.
41. He first findeth his own Brother Simon, and faith unto him, We have found the MESSI AS, which is, being interpreted, the Chrift.
42. And he brought him to fefus. And when Jefus beheld him, he faid, Thou art Simon the Son of Jona: thou fhalt be called. Cephas, which is by Interpretation, a Stone.
Our Saviour's Teftimony of John.
Luke AND John calling unto him two of his Difciples, fent them unto Jefus, faying, Art thou he that fhould come, or look we for another?
20. When the Men were come unto him, they faid, John Baptift hath fent us unto thee, faying, Art thou he that fhould come, or look we for another?
21. And in that fame Hour he cured many of their Infirmities and Plagues, and of evil Spirits, and unto many that were blind he gave Sight.
22. Then Jefus anfwering, faid unto them, Go your way, and tell John what Things ye have feen and heard, how that the Blind fee, the Lame walk, the Lepers are cleanfed, the Deaf hear, the Dead are raised, to the Pook the GOSPEL is preached.
And bleifed is he whofoever fhall not be offended
24. And when the Meffengers of John were departed, he began to fpeak unto the People concerning John, What went ye out into the Wilderness for to fee? A Reed fhaken with the Wind?
25. But what went ye out for to fee? A Man cloathed in foft Raiment? Behold, they which are gorgeously apparelled, and live delicately, are in Kings Courts.
26. But what went ye out for to fee? A PROPHET? Yea, Ifay unto you, and much more than a PROPHET.
27. This is he of whom it is written, Behold, I fend my
MESSENGER before thy Face, which shall prepare thy Way before thee.
28. For I fay unto you, Among those that are born of Women, there is not a greater Prophet than John the Baptift: but he that is leaft in the Kingdom of GOD, is greater than he.
29. And all the People that heard him, and the Publicans juftified God, being baptized with the Baptism of John.
30. But the Pharifees and Lawyers rejected the Counfel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him.
CHRIST is tempted by the Devil, and of the Temptations that Believers are fubject to.
Mark i. Matt. iv. Luke iv.
[L.]AND (a) Jefus * being full of the HOLY GHOST returned from Fordan, [M.] and then was lead up of the Spirit into the Wildernefs, to be TEMPTED of the Devil: Mr.] And he was there in the Wilderness forty Days, [L.] and was TEMPTED forty Days [Mr.] of Satan,  the Devil, [Mr.] and he was with the wild Beafts: [L.]And in thofe Days he did eat nothing. [M] And when he had fafted forty Days and forty Nights, he was afterwards an hungred. And when the Tempter came unto him, [.] the Devil faid unto him, If thou be the Son
(a) Luke x. 17. And the Seventy returned again with Joy, faying, Lord, even the Devils are fubject unto us through thy Name.
18. And he faid unto them, I
ther the DEVIL, and the Lufts of
there is no Truth in him. When
Chap. xvii. 15. I pray not that
Rom. xvi. 20. The God of Peace
fhall BRUISE SATAN under your
2 Cor. ii. 11. Left SATAN fhould
get an Advantage of us: for we are
Note, The Texts mark'd with [M.] are in the Gofpel of St. Matthew,
[Mr.] in Mark, [Z.] in Luke, &c.