« السابقةمتابعة »
35. (Yea, a Sword fhall pierce through thine own Soul alfo) that the Thoughts of many Hearts may be revealed.
36. And there was one Anna a Prophetefs, the Daughter of Phanuel, of the Tribe of Afer; fhe was of a great Age, and had lived with an Husband feven Years from her Virginity:
37. And he was a Widow of about fourfcore and four Years which departed not from the Temple, but ferved God with Faftings and Prayers Night and Day.
38. And fhe coming in that Inftant, gave Thanks likewife unto the Lord, and spake of him to all them that looked for REDEMPTION in Ferufalem.
39. And when they had performed all Things according to the Law of the Lord, they returned into Galilee, to their own City Nazareth.
40. And the Child grew, and waxed ftrong in Spirit, filled with Wifdom; and the Grace of GoD was upon him. Matt. ii. I. Now when Jefus was born in Bethle bem of Judea in the Days of Herod the King, behold, there came WISE Men from the East to Jerufalem,
2. Saying, Where is he that is born KING of the Fers? for we have feen his STAR in the Eaft, and are
come to WORSHIP him.
3. When Herod the King had heard thefe Things, he was troubled, and all Jerufalem with him.
4. And when he had gathered all the Chief Priefts and Scribes of the People together, he demanded of them where Chrift fhould be born.
5. And they faid unto him, In Bethlehem of Judea : for thus it is written by the Prophet;
6. And thou Bethlehem in the Land of Juda, art not the least among the Princes of Juda: for out of thee fhall come a GOVERNOUR that fhall rule my People Ifrael.
7. Then Herod, when he had privily called the wife Men, enquired of them diligently what time the STAR appeared. 8. And he fent them to Bethlehem, and faid, Go, and fearch diligently for the young Child, and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and WORSHIP him alfo.
9. When they had heard the King, they departed; and lo, the STAR which they faw in the Eaft, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young Child
*See Numbers xxiv. 15.
10. When they faw the STAR, they rejoiced with exceeding great Joy.
11. And when they were come into the House, they faw the young Child with Mary his Mother, and fell down and WORSHIPPED him: and when they had opened their Treafures, they prefented unto him Gifts; Gold, and Frankincenfe, and Myrrh.
12. And being WARNED of God in a Dream, that they fhould not return to Herod, they departed into their own Country another way.
13. And when they were departed, behold, the Angel of the Lord appeareth to fofeph in a Dream, faying, Arife, and take the young Child and his Mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will feek the young Child to deftroy him.
14. When he arofe, he took the young Child and his Mother by Night, and departed into Egypt:
15. And was there until the Death of Herod: That it might be fulfilled which was fpoken of the Lord by the Prophet, faying, Out of Egypt have I called my Son.
16. Then Herod when he faw that he was mocked of the wife Men, was exceeding wroth, and fent forth and flew all the Children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the Coafts thereof, from two Years old and under, according to the Time which he had diligently inquired of the wife Men.
17. Then was fulfilled that which was fpoken by Feremy the Prophet, faying,
18. In Rama was there a Voice heard, Lamentation and Weeping, and great Mourning, Rachel weeping for her Children, and would not be comforted, because they are
19. But when Herod was dead, behold, an ANGEL of the I.ord appeareth in a Dream to Jofeph in Egypt,
20. Saying, Arife, and take the young Child and his Mother, and go into the Land of Ifrael: for they are dead which fought the young Child's Life.
21. And he arofe, and took the young Child and his Mother, and came into the Land of Ifrael.
22. But when he heard that Archelaus did reign in Judea, in the room of his Father Herod, he was afraid to go thither: notwithstanding, being warned of God in aDream, he turned a fide into the Parts of Galilee:
See Jerem. xxxi. 15.
23. And he came and dwelt in a City called Nazareth, that it might be FULFILLED which was fpoken by the PROPHETS, He fhall be called a Nazarene.
Luke ii. 41. Now his Parents went to Jerufalem every Year at the Feast of the Paffover.
42. And when he was twelve Year old, they went up to Ferufalem after the Custom of the Feast.
43. And when they had fulfilled the Days, as they returned, the Child Jefus tarried behind in Jerufalem; and Jofeph and his Mother knew not of it.
44. But they fuppofing him to have been in the Company, went a Day's Journey; and they fought him among their Kinsfolk and Acquaintance.
45. And when they found him not, they returned back again to Jerufalem, feeking him.
46. And it came to pafs, that after three Days they found him in the Temple, fitting in the midst of the Doctors, both hearing them, and asking them Questions.
47. And all that heard him were astonished at his UNDERSTANDING and ANSWERS.
48. And when they faw him, they were amazed : and his Mother faid unto him, Son, why haft thou thus dealt with us? Behold, thy Father and I have fought thee forrowing.
49. And he faid unto them, How is it that ye fought me? Wift ye not that I must be about my FATHER'S Bufinefs?
50. And they understood not the Saying which he spake unto them.
51. And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was fubject unto them: But his Mother kept all thefe Sayings in her Heart.
52. And Fefus increafed in WISDOM and Stature, and in FAVOUR with GoD and Man.
The Preaching of John the Baptist.
Luke NOW WOW in the fifteenth Year of the Reign of Tiberius Cefar, Pontius Pilate being Governour of Judea, and Herod being Tetrarch of Galilee, and
his Brother Philip Tetrarch of Iturea, and of the Region of Trachonitis, and Lyfanias the Tetrarch of Abilene, 2. Annas and Caiaphas being the High Priests, the Word of God came unto John the Son of Zacharias in the Wilderness.
3. And he came into all the Country about Jordan, preaching the Baptifm of REPENTANCE, for the Remiffion of SINS; and faid,* Repent ye, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at Hand.
4. As it is written in the Book of the Words of † Efaias the Prophet, faying, The Voice of one crying in the Wildernefs, Prepare ye the Way of the Lord, make his Paths ftraight.
5. Every Valley fhall be filled, and every Mountain and Hill fhall be brought low; and the crooked fhall be made ftraight, and the rough Ways fhall be made fmooth;
6. And all Flefh fhall fee the SALVATION of GOD. Matt. ii. 4. And the fame John had his Raiment of Camels Hair, and a Leathern Girdle about his Loins, and his Meat was Locufts and wild Honey.
5. Then went out to him Ferufalem, and all Judea, and all the Region round about Jordan,
6. And were baptized of him in Jordan, confeffing their
7. But when he faw many of the Pharifees and Sadducees come to his Baptifm, he faid unto them, O Generation of Vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the Wrath to come?
8. Bring forth therefore FRUITS meet for REPEN
9. And think not to fay within your felves, We have Abraham to our Father: for I fay unto you, that God is able of these Stones to raife up Children unto Abraham.
10. And now alfo the Ax is laid unto the Root of the Trees: therefore every Tree which bringeth not forth good FRUIT is hewn down, and caft into the Fire.
11. I indeed baptize you with Water unto REPENTANCE, but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whofe Shoes I am not worthy to bear: He fhall BAPTIZE you with the HOLY GHOST, and with Fire.
12. Whofe Fan is in his Hand, and he will throughly purge his Floor, and gather his Wheat into the Garner: but he will burn up the Chaff with unquenchable Fire.
Luke iii. 10. And the People asked him, saying, What fhall we do then?
11. He answereth-and faith unto them, He that hath two Coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath Meat, let him do likewife.
12. Then came alfo Publicans to be baptized, and said unto him, Mafter, what fhall we do?
13. And he faid unto them, Exact no more than that which is appointed you.
14. And the Soldiers likewife demanded of him, faying, And what fhall we do? And he faid unto them, Do VIOLENCE to no Man, neither accufe any falfly, and be content with your Wages.
15. And as the People were in Expectation, and all Men mufed in their Hearts of John, whether he were the CHRIST or not;
16. John answered, faying unto them all, I indeed BAPTIZE you with Water; but one MIGHTIER than I cometh, the Latchet of whofe Shoes I am not worthy to unloofe he fhall BAPTIZE you with the HOLY GHOST, and with Fire.
17. Whofe Fan is in his Hand, and he will throughly purge his Floor, and will gather the Wheat into his Garner; but the Chaff, he will burn with Fire unquenchable.
18. And many other Things in his Exhortation preached he unto the People.
CHRIST'S Age and Genealogy from Adam.
Luke AND Jefus himfelf began to be about thirty Years of Age, being (as was fuppofed) the Son
of fofeth, which was the Son of Heli,
24. Which was the Son of Matthat, which was the Son of Levi, which was the Son of Melchi, which was the Son of Janna, which was the Son of Jofeph,
25. Which was the Son of Mattathias, which was the Son of Ames, which was the Son of Naum, which was the Son of Efi, which was the Son of Nagge,
26. Which was the Son of Maath, which was the Son of Mattathias, which was the Son of Simei, which was the Son of Fojej b, which was the Son of Juda,