صور الصفحة
النشر الإلكتروني
[blocks in formation]

his fever had abated. He continued thus till ten o'clock, when he began to have pain, first in his side, then in his back, and then all over. He said, 'Doctor, something is wrong-something has given way within.' Soon he was relieved of the pain, and seemed quite easy. I was with him all the forenoon, endeavouring to ascertain as definitely as possible the nature and state of his disease. I at first suspected it might be disease of the liver; and upon examination I found there was a slight enlargement, just below the ribs, on the right side. Not long before now, as I was sitting by him, he said, 'Doctor, I think I ought to tell you I am deranged; but you need not mention it to others.' I thought that perhaps want of sleep and nervous exhaustion had brought his mind into such a state, and that it would soon pass away. A little before noon I had occasion to leave the room for a few minutes, and upon returning I found Mr Jones sprinkling water upon his face. He said that Mr R. was taken with shivering and trembling, and seemed to faint. As I came up to the bed, I saw he was still trembling, and his lips were moving as if in prayer. Just then he seemed to faint, saying, 'I am going, I am going.' I applied some spirits of camphor to his nose, and he revived, saying, 'Lord, I will repent.' The servant told me that while I was out before noon, Mr R. was much engaged in earnest prayer. For six or eight hours from this time he answered none of our questions, although he turned his eyes sometimes towards the person who addressed him. All this time I was with him, and felt exceedingly anxious for him. I looked upon the shivering I had seen as an indication that the inflammation of the liver had resulted in suppuration, and an abscess was being formed; and then

[ocr errors][ocr errors]
[blocks in formation]

he could not probably live many days. I thought that he probably, too, had a presentiment that his time was short, and that he was endeavouring by meditation and prayer to secure a preparation for the great change that awaited him; and during these hours, many, many were the prayers I offered that our heavenly Father would be near to comfort and sustain him as he approached the valley of the shadow of death. In the evening he had several naps, and each one in succession longer than the one preceding. At nearly ten o'clock he awoke from a quiet sleep of more than half-an-hour, and seemed to be himself again. He said he had been in a trance. He had known all that we had said to him, but was unable to answer our questions. We then moved him into the parlour, where we had prepared a bed for him. He sat up nearly a half-hour, and conversed quite freely, and then laid down. He seemed very comfortable, and said, 'All is peace and joy.' At a late hour I left him, with one of his faithful servants to watch with him, and Mr Jones sleeping in the same room. He had not as much fever as the previous night, and slept considerable. Next morning (Friday) at five o'clock I went in to see him, and he said, 'Doctor, I have had some refreshing sleep, and am much better; will you please to bring me those letters from my dear friends, I think I am able to read them now.' I brought them, and he opened and read them all, excepting one, which he said he knew contained nothing but a draft on Baring Brothers, I think. In the letters from his two brothers he seemed much interested; and he told me they contained good news from his faroff home-which to him was like cold water to a thirsty After breakfast, we had family prayers in the


[blocks in formation]

parlour, and he seemed to enjoy the season very much. A portion of Scripture having been read, he united with us in singing the 402d hymn of the 'Temple Melodies,' commencing

"How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord,

Is laid for your faith in His excellent Word!' As he sang the last verse, I could not but feel that no one could sing it with the heartfelt confidence he evinced, unless he had in exercise a strong and living faith in Christ. That day Mr R. appeared so decidedly better, that we began to hope that my previous conclusion in regard to his disease was incorrect, and that he would recover. I think also that he had hope that he would soon be well. Mr Jones was very anxious to prosecute the journey as soon as possible; and he asked Mr R. if he should contract with a muleteer to be ready to start with them on the following Monday for Aintab. He replied, 'Yes, I think it would be well to do so.' That night he had more fever than during the day, but not as much as the first nights, and during the greater part was in a gentle perspiration; yet he was rather restless and did not sleep, as I hoped he would. Saturday morning, instead of finding him better than the previous day, he did not appear quite as well, and our hopes were somewhat lessened. In answer to Mr Jones' inquiry, he said that the contract had better be made for Tuesday instead of Monday. His fever began to appear more like a hectic than a remittent fever. Still he seemed very cheerful and hopeful. That evening, thinking that it was very important that he should sleep, I gave him a powder of morphine.

"Salbath morning, when I asked him how he was, he replied, Much better, doctor, I slept a part of the night,

[blocks in formation]

and oh, it was such a refreshing sleep! I am all right now, doctor-all right.' Not long after this, as he was apparently waking from a nap, I heard him utter these words, 'Who doeth all things well.' He slept considerable during the A. M. In the P. M. he said he thought a warm bath would do him good. I was then just going to meeting, and told him that on my return I would see about his having a bath. When I returned from our place of worship, I found he had ordered the servants to bring hot water, &c., and had taken his bath. He told me it was the most delightful bath he had ever taken-' such pleasureable physical sensations.' Mr and Mrs Walker called in after meeting, and he seemed very happy to see them. He said that that had been the happiest Sabbath of his life-so quiet, so peaceful, so joyous, so glorious.' Soon after he heard us inviting Mr Jones to preach that evening to the members of this station, and he said, 'Oh, yes, friend Jones, do give them a sermon!'

[ocr errors]

'Mr Jones, Mr and Mrs Walker, Mr and Mrs Knapp, Mrs Nutting and myself, met in our dining-room at seven o'clock; and after the usual introductory exercise, conducted by Mr Jones, he preached a very excellent sermon from the seventh verse of the 57th Psalm. After that we sang several hymns, accompanied by the melodeon. In the meantime Mr R. was attended by the two servants. At nine o'clock

I went up to his room, and found him apparently very happy, and inclined to talk much. I told him we had enjoyed our meeting exceedingly, and felt sorry he was unable to be with us. I asked him how he had been. 'In a delightful state, doctor; oh, such glorious views as I have had!' Soon he began to sing

"Awake, my soul, stretch every nerve,' &c.

[blocks in formation]

and parts of several other similar hymns. I noticed that he appeared very much excited, and threw his arms about in a restless, nervous way, and I was not long in coming to the conclusion that he was delirious. We tried to keep him calm and quiet, but he grew worse for several hours. Mr J. and Mrs N. were up till after midnight, and (with two servants) I was standing by him all night. Frequently, after a few moments of sleep, he would break out in singing, and would speak as if preaching, or making an address. Once or twice he said, 'Oh, I see the glory of the Divine nature, nearer and nearer it comes-how beautiful-how glorious!' The latter part of the night he began to be more quiet, and in the morning, Monday, he slept considerable; and during the day he seemed nearly free from delirium, and always answered our questions intelligently. His pulse was quicker and weaker than the preceding day, owing, I thought, in part, at least, to the excitement of the night before. Towards evening, Mr Jones having gone over to Mr Walker's, Mr R. requested me to send for him, and said he had something to tell him. 'I want to tell him of the glory of God.' In the evening Mr Walker came, and kindly offered to sit up with Mr R. that night, and give me an opportunity to rest. Having given direction in regard to the medicine to be given, before ten I retired. Just before Mr R. requested Mr W. to wind up his watch. During the night he was somewhat delirious, but not nearly as much so as the preceding night. He was in a gentle perspiration most of the time, and in the morning, at five o'clock, when I came into the room, he seemed very quiet, but extremely sensitive to cold, and frequently repeated the words'Keep me warm-keep me warm.' I found his pulse

« السابقةمتابعة »